Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Birchbox - May

May's Birchbox had me stressed!  Well not really the box, but the post office - which didn't deliver my box on time.  I sent a tweet to Birchbox and those ladies answered me within 5 minutes!  (They love a good tweet!) I don't know if the first box got lost in the mail or what, but Birchbox was on the ball with customer service and shipped a new box out immediately.  Finally my May box was here...

Since Mother's Day is in May, Birchbox dedicated their box to moms.  Exploring the idea that mom knows best, especially when it comes to beauty.
The Lineup
...and some bonus "treats"


The Winner:
Stila of course!  This comes in an individual pan so it will be easy to add it into a custom palette
(like a Z Palette).  As an eyeshadow, it applies smooth and not chalky.  The color can be layered to achieve a deeper color if you like.  I do use an eyeshadow primer, but this color lasts all day.  I look forward to trying more colors from Stila.

The Honorable Mention:
Oribe for beautiful hair Shampoo and Conditioner.  I tucked these travel sized packets in my toiletries bag and used them when I was on the road (instead of hotel Shampoo and Condish)  They smelled pretty (like a classy perfume), cleaned my color-treated hair gently, rinsed clean and left my hair soft and shiny.

The Disappointment:
Bvlgari Mon Jasmin Noir perfume sample - Not my cup of tea.  This smells like a rich old lady dripping in diamonds.  I'm more of a fruity/vanilla smelling perfume kinda girl.  I occasionally love a good "evening" perfume (like Gucci Rush or Narcisco Rodriguez For Her) - but mostly you will find me wearing light, summery fragrances like Dolce & Gabbana Light BlueSJP NYCAmazing Grace by Philosophy, or Victoria's Secret Heavenly. I was sad because I love trying new perfumes but I think this one is going to go to waste - even my friends didn't like it so I couldn't give it away.


The Rest?
I haven't tried the soap yet so you will have to try for yourself or come back later for a review once I do.
The Erno Laszlo night serum felt...OK.  It didn't smell funny or anything, but I am really not a fan of serums.  I feel like they are always slightly sticky.  I suppose that enjoying a trial sized sample of a skin treatment will help you determine whether or not you like the smell, texture, or any adverse reaction your skin might have, but you really won't be able to tell any results without using it for a decent amount of time.  I just can't see spending the money on this one.  I will stick with ROC for a small fraction of the price.

Thanks for checking out May's Birchbox!  
Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment